The 7-Best Ways to waste time. This would be a similar title.
To make the best out of your time requires an organized effort.
Wasting time is one of human’s worst diseases, much worse than cancer.
That is if, of course, if you want to do something big, a big enterprise or contribution in your life. If you are living your life just “cruising by” without wanting to do anything special, wasting time is not a problem. It would be part of the equation.
But what do I mean by wasting time?
For me, wasting time is doing something that doesn’t provide any value to you or to the people around you.
Well, not only it doesn’t provide value, but even worse, takes you away from what’s important to you. It takes you away from your biggest goals, your highest desires and your most spectacular possible contribution.
Basically takes you further away from your true life path, from your highest destiny.
It’s so easy to lose time. It’s the easiest thing in the world these days. Now, getting distracted is the natural thing to do. We have plenty of opportunities to waste our days doing nothing significant or adding any value to humanity
Keeping your focus on the ball is one of the most challenging things to do.
Probably it was easier to be a genius 100 years ago when there were very little things to be distracted with.
So what would be included in the worse time wasters list?
What are the worst offenders? Here is Turbomind list of the worst ones.
- Too Much Sleep.
What? What are you talking about? I love sleeping. Ok I understand, but let me explain.
They say we need 8 hours or sleep. Supposedly, the doctors recommend sleeping 8 or more hours. This is like a mantra repeated like a guru doing his daily meditation.
Well, I guess that would be a personal decision but in my case I am used to sleep about 5 hours per night and I feel great. When I sleep 6 hours I am also great. However, when I sleep around 8 hours I feel horrible, I feel heavy, my back and neck hurt besides just feeling bad spending so much precious time in bed doing nothing.
As I said, that’s a personal decision. Your body it’s highly adaptable, it can get used to different lifestyles, diets and hours. Different studies found that people who sleep less tend to get more out of their sleep time than the longer sleepers. Also it depends on your lifestyle, your diet and other factors.
You will be able to sleep “eternally” when you pass away. Make the most out of this fascinating life and the time you are alive.
For me this life is absolutely exciting. It is exciting to be alive. There are so many things that I enjoy, and want to do, that being in bed more than 6 hours tends to be a torture for me. The only reason to be for more than 6 hours in bed is if you have your soulmate right next to you. Then you want to spend a lifetime in bed.
- Watching garbage TV. TV is one f the best ways for passive action. I am not sure this concept exists but TV is a highly passive activity. You don’t have to do anything. You don’t participate. You don’t have to do anything, just watch. The average American watches about 4 hours of TV per day. Most of this time is wasted. Can you imagine if you would invest those 4 hours studying, learning practicing or doing something that truly provides real to your life? You could become an expert in one year.
- Surfing the net doing nothing. Surfing and surfing, not ocean waves but the net. Surfing doesn’t provide any value unless is dedicated surfing, meaning, when you are looking for something in particular, like an airplane ticket, or want to learn how to cook. When you surf for hours with no purpose, you tend to waste your time.
- Surfing your cell doing nothing. Reading your emails constantly, looking at your whatsapp app, facebook, and twitter all the time compulsively. The average person looks at his cell phone over 150 times per day, and most of the time s just curiosity.
Your cell phone is an awesome tool for business and productivity, but also is an awesome tool to waste time.
- Social media addiction. A new study by “The Journal of Cyberpsychology”, behavior and social networking found that kids that spend over 2 hours a day in social media have a higher tendency for depression, and suicidal thoughts than others spending less or no time.
I place video games addiction close to the social media addiction.
Social media is another awesome business tool when you use it properly, when you don’t is a great way to waste your time, and your energy.
- Thinking and thinking about something without taking any action, kind of in mental spiral, or loop that goes on forever without any action about it.
This is completely different from brainstorming. I do brainstorming. We dedicate 1 hour a week to improve some aspects of their lives or their business. We write on a notepad and develop ideas and action plans. This has nothing to do to think about something without any improvement and any action.
- WORRYING. This is another time waster.Here you are focusing your mental energy in the worst case scenario.
This is not a recommended action for your success.
This one is an extension of the last one. You don’t solve anything by worrying, you don’t improve and you don’t get any closer to your desire, goal or dream, just waste time and mental energy.
The opposite of this is to firmly believe, to have confidence. It’s only a matter of changing a mental habit.
The next time you worry about something, instead of thinking “I am afraid this deal is going to sour” think something like, “I am absolutely convinced this deal is going to be awesome. It is going awesome right now. I believe in myself and my team, I know we are going to do really well”.
It requires the same amount f time to do one or another, the same amount of time and the same amount of energy. Choose to think creatively and choose thoughts that support you. This goes beyond positive thinking into creative, constructive and empowering thinking.
Your time is precious. You have a unique contribution to make to the world. Your contribution is unique and special. You have limited time to do it. Every second is precious and it doesn’t come back. Make time work for you, not against you. We all have 24 hours a day, no more, no less, 24 hours.
This time, now, will never come back. You have one life and a limited amount of time to make the most out of it.
As Rich Litvin, the supercoach and co-author of “The Prosperous Coach” says, we know two things, one is that we know we are going to die, and the second is that we don’t know when we are going to die.
Everything in the middle is your choice, your decision. We think we are going to live eternally, until we realize our lives have passed away, or we are reaching the end of our lives.
Make the most of the time in between.
Miguel De La Fuente
Are there things you have dreamt about that you haven’t found a way to manifest them? Do you have an “imposible dream” that you want to make happen?
Call me. I coach Committed Individuals in Realizing their Dreams.
By Miguel De La Fuente. He is the founder of TURBOMIND, (www.turbomind.com) an international coaching company. Basically they do 2 things: 1-they provide High End Coaching to Highly Commmittted individuals and 2-The provide Inspirational Products and Services. You can reach Miguel 507-62463797 or at miguelatturbomind.com (substitute at by @))for an introductory transformational coaching session.