Tom Coughlin, EARN THE RIGHT TO WIN, turbomind Book Summary, by Miguel De La Fuente
This week we have another awesome book, one by Tom Coughlin, “Earn Your Right to Win” which I highly recommend you read.
Tom Coughlin has been one of the most successful NFL coaches, who led the New York Giants to two Super Bowls.
It’s fascinating to me, how the same principles that made Tom win two Super Bowls, helped Google create massively successful businesses; Establishing your main objective, and direct all your actions and resources towards that specific commitment.
Tom has a unique system of relentless preparation and resilience. His message is straightforward and inspiring; you cannot guarantee success, but you can EARN YOUR RIGHT TO WIN with total focus, massive hard work and complete commitment.
Hard work, really hard work results in success. Take pride in work harder than your competition. Work harder than you have worked before.
This book can help leaders in any field and in any organization. The habits, and mental preparation you need to become champion applies for everyday life, as well as sports, and business.
Prepare for anything that may come your way. Winning is about preparing yourself to handle any challenge. Prepare yourself also for unexpected opportunities that will appear along the way.
This book is about winning, it´s about helping every person perform at the best of his, or her abilities and to become a winner. It´s about hard work, giving your best effort, respecting people and always being honest and fair.
Success is not an accident, it´s not luck; it´s the result of hard work and extraordinary commitment and determination to your most important goals and values.
If you are not willing the pay the full price to succeed, then better don’t even start. You will need an intense degree of dedication and perseverance to your objectives in order to achieve them. Success is doing the BEST YOU CAN. A Relentlessly Drive to be the BEST you can be.
“Winning happens when commitment, desire, talent, preparation, hard work and leadership, all come together”. It´s a waste of time to feel sorry for yourself. There aren’t made better motivational tools than winning.
Tom would repeat constantly to every person in the organization, that “You are here for one reason, and only one reason, and it´s not because of the weather. It´s for the W. to WIN”.
As Mohamad Ali said, “The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses-behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights”
There is no substitute for hard work and extraordinary work ethic. Putting those extra hours, working hard, will make the difference. All that extra effort and extra hours will make a massive difference at the end. There are no short cuts when giving your best effort.
Success requires doing the job the best way possible, not necessarily the quickest or the easiest. As Roger Stauback said, “There are no traffic jams on the Extra mile”.
If you are going to do something, DO IT RIGHT. If it´s going to take a little more work, that’s fine, do it right.
Winning big requires sacrifice, which means putting in all the hours it takes to become the best you can be. If you need to work 14 hours a day, like in Silicon Valley, you just do it. You don’t need to be big or strong to work hard. You don´t need talent to work hard. It’s something anyone can do. Take pride on doing so.
Here are some additional ideas from this exceptional book…
- The FIRST thing you need to do is to clearly and precisely DEFINE your goal, your objective. Clearly identify the end. Be as specific as possible. After that, outline the necessary steps that will get you there. In addition, outline what you will have to do to take each step. The path to success starts with deliberate and determined preparation. Aim high and don’t worry about being practical. Set a big goal for yourself and your organization.Tom, every year he used to set the goal to win the Super Bowl and everything he does is geared towards that purpose and objective.Create an environment and provide the direction to allow your team members to perform to the best of their ability, which will lead to success.Once you establish your top goal, your purpose, you cannot take your focus off your objective. Every decision you make should move you towards that objective, and you have to make a personal commitment to do whatever it takes to accomplish that goal.
- Achieving a goal begins with through preparation, the better you prepare for something, the more likely is that you will succeed. Focus on the big and the small details, and be prepare for anything. Eventually, it may be the small things that make the difference. When you are prepared you deal with challenges that will appear unexpectedly, as well as opportunities. Just as panic is contagious, so too is feeling calm and confident.
- Tom makes schedules sometimes as far as one year in advance! (that is when he was coaching in the NFL, now he is retired, I don’t think he does now). He makes lists, and lists of lists. Complaining about not having enough time is not an effective use of your time. When you schedule things you have a predictable method of getting done whatever needs to get done.
- CONFIDENCE is a self-fulfilling prophecy: the more confidence you have in yourself, your preparation and your system, the better results you will get, and this also will create more confidence to continue your preparation.
- The fear that you will not succeed, even before you begin, it´s the ONLY thing that will guarantee you will fail.
- Every effort has to start with a realistic appraisal of where you stand. To need to honestly asses your current situation and where improvement is essential.
- The culture of an organization is defined by its rules. Rules are used to set the tone. Establish a set of rules and follow them tightly from the FIRST DAY. Set a code of conduct and instruct people what is permitted or prohibited. Set the rules but tell people why they exist, the benefit of having them, so they will support you.The most important rule is to be on time. Even more than on time, Tom would set the rule to be 5 minutes before time, even penalizing people for being 2 minutes before the 5-minute time frame.-Tom time is 5 minutes earlier than the official time-.
- Sticking to your structure makes it easier to deal with surprises, setbacks and obstacles.
- Be obsessed with the MOST effective use of your time. This is one thing you have control over. Long term preparation leads to success. Long term planning puts you in a position to win. Be prepare to take advantage of an opportunity.“THE ACTIONS YOU TAKE A YEAR OR MORE IN ADVANCE CAN HAVE AS MUCH IMPACT ON THE OUTCOME AS WHAT YOU DO THE DAY BEFORE”Make daily schedules, medium term schedules and long-term schedules. And then, follow them. This gives you confidence and a sense of control. In an organization, people can count that they will be doing exactly what’s on the schedule.(Tom wakes up at 5, and he is on the office by 6.15. Every minute during the week is schedule).
- The margin between success and failure in sports, as well as any enterprise, is so small that a little bit of information can make all the difference. Your ability to focus on the details and bring them all together will determine your success or failure.Tom used to spend significantly more time in the classroom than on the field.A little action can create the winning factor. Don’t leave a stone unturned. Know everything about your market, your competition, your industry, and your expertise. The more you know the better your chances to be prepare and make the necessary adjustments.No matter your job, big or small, can be broken into smaller details. And no matter what you are trying to accomplish, DETAILS WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.FOCUS ON DETAILS. BECOME EXTREMELY WELL ORGANIZE.
Imagine you are on the battlefield and your life DEPENDS on your preparation and your exceptional organization.Any business who wants to be successful has to learn about its competition as much as possible, as well as his own company. Study film, watch video, inform yourself.Bring the same level of detail to every aspect of your organization. Your appearance is representative of your pride and professionalism.
- Become the best you possibly become. The more times you do something the better you are going to be at it. It doesn’t matter what you do. It’s the same principle.
“A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself, and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive, and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done”
“The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim too high and we miss; rather our aim is too low and we make it”
“I have great respect for individuals who stand up for those things in which they believe”.
“Time is the blank canvas of preparation. You earn the right to win by using your time more productively and effectively than your competition”
“There are no traffic jams on the Extra mile”.
“Winners are usually the ones that work harder, work longer, and as result, perform better”
“No man needs sympathy because he has to work hard, because he has a burden to carry. Far and away, the BEST PRIZE that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing”
MY FAVORITE BOOKS ON MENTAL TRAINING AND MENTAL TOUGHNESS:
If you are looking for other exceptional books on mental training as well as mental toughness here are my favorites, the ones I have personally read:
Download Now my TotalSuccess App, Your Daily Medicine against being “average”, for my most important ideas about these exceptional books. This app will help you develop the ultimate vision for your life and steps to get there.
- How Champions think by Dr Bob Rotella, https://www.turbomind.com/how-champions-think-by-dr-bob-rotella/
- An IRON WILL, by Orison Swet Mardin, https://www.turbomind.com/an-iron-will-what-all-great-men-have-in-comon/
- The Champion´s Mind, by Jim Afremov.
- With winning in Mind, by Lanny Bassham, https://www.turbomind.com/with-winning-in-mind-by-lanny-bassham/
- Chasing Excellence, by Ben Bergeron, https://www.turbomind.com/chasing-excellence-by-ben-bergeron/
- Mind Gym, by Gary Mack, https://www.turbomind.com/mind-gym-gary-mack-turbomind-book-club/
- Tom Coughlin, by him, https://www.turbomind.com/tom-coughlin-earn-the-right-to-win-best-ideas/
- No Limits, by Michael Phelps, https://www.turbomind.com/no-limits-by-michael-phelps-the-will-to-succeed-turbomind-com-book-club/
- Relentless by Tim Grover, https://www.turbomind.com/relentless-from-good-to-great-to-unstoppable-by-tim-s-grover-summary-by-miguel-de-la-fuente/
- Unbeatable Mind, by Mark Divine, https://www.turbomind.com/unbeatable-mind-mark-divine-turbomind-com-bookclub/
- Get the Life You Want, by Richard Bandler.
- Can´t Hurt Me, by David Goggins, https://www.turbomind.com/cant-hurt-me-by-david-goggins-turbomind-book-club/
- Make Your Bed, by Admiral William H- McRaven, https://www.turbomind.com/make-your-bed-by-admiral-william-h-mcraven-turbomind-bookclub/
- The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone, https://www.turbomind.com/the-10x-rule-the-difference-between-success-and-failure-book-summary/
- Discipline Equals Freedom. Jocko Willink, https://www.turbomind.com/discipline-equals-freedom-by-jocko-willink/
- RAFA, by Rafael Nadal, https://www.turbomind.com/rafa-by-rafael-nadalbook-summary/
I keep updating this list regularly….
Download now my TotalSuccess App, Your Daily Medicine against being “average”….to help you stay away from an average life, with average habits, average results and an average experience.
15-Minutes per day will help you become the absolutely best you can become. You have a responsibility to honor pour potential. The biggest pain in life comes from not maximizing your Potential and doing what you know you were capable of doing, for you and others. You have been given the Most Extraordinary Gift; Your Life. Use it.
Any Goal or Dream You Really Want to Achieve but Haven’t been able to do it?
Call Me, I love helping people become Exceptional and Achieve the impossible. Miguel De La Fuente, Life and Business Coach Exceptional. +507-62463797.
TOTALSUCCESS-App (Book & Coaching Club)
The #1 Success Platform in the World
by Miguel De La Fuente, TS-Coach.
I love helping people become Exceptional.